Friday, July 12, 2019

Reunited and it Feels So Good

We love being able to travel and are blessed to be able to do so.  We've had lots of incredible experiences, but everything is not always perfect.  "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade" is how the old saying goes.  We've certainly made our fair share of lemonade.

Over the years we've had bad weather, travel delays, late arriving baggage, ailments, unexpected closures, and the like.  I don't write about them as I want to focus on the positives.  This year's trip got off to a rocky start, but I told Mona if it got resolved, I would write about it.

What happened?  I left my jacket on the plane when we changed planes in Copenhagen on the way to Sweden.

Leaving a jacket is not that big a deal.  It's an inconvenience for sure, but not insurmountable.  My issue?  My jacket is a special travel jacket I bought that has an interior liner with lots of pockets so you can pack clothes and other items to minimize the size and number of bags that you bring.  I basically left half my clothes for our two week trip on the plane.

Unlike your suitcase with a bag tag or other identifying information, my jacket had none of this.  The airline couldn't just put it on the next flight to Stockholm.  They had no idea whose it was.  I learned from the airline that it should go to the Copenhagen Airport's lost and found.  A faint glimmer of hope.

Once we got to our hotel, I looked up the information for the airport lost and found and saw they only keep and track things such as wallets, cell phones, and computers.  They don't track or keep clothes and other similar items.  Those are turned over to the Copenhagen police.

I emailed the Police Department's lost and found and provided all of my information.  I found pictures from the company's website to show what my jacket would look like.  I had to buy a few shirts since the only short sleeve shirt I had was the one I was wearing on the flight over.  I couldn't have two weeks of pictures in the same shirt- not to mention the aroma. 

Mona was confident everything would work out.  Me, not so much.  I had moved on and bought new shirts.  There were too many steps for my jacket to reach the police department.  There was no identification in the jacket.  It was a nice jacket with other clothes inside.  It will be too hard to find the owner.   Etc., Etc., Etc.

The glorious email came on July 9.  "We are pleased to inform you we have received your jacket."

Hallelujah!!  Praise the Lord!!  Happy Dance!!!  We are finishing our trip in Copenhagen so I can pick up my jacket.  We arrive late on the 10th.  We're at the main police station at 9am on the 11th when they open to claim my jacket.   Everything's still inside.  Another Happy Dance!!!

I told Mona it was all of her positivity that helped make it happen.  I'm grateful to everyone who had a hand in reuniting me with my jacket.  Thank You!

P.S. -- Mona got hives, but she's fine now.

1 comment:

  1. Fos, you must put your name and contact your jacket, especially this kind of jacket. It's essentially luggage. Good on you and the Denmark police that you got it back!

    ReplyDelete