Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Choir Memories


When I was a student at the College of William and Mary, I sang as a member of the Choir.  Frank Lendrim - "Doc" as we all called him - helped instill in me a great love of music that I carry with me today.  Every three years, he and his wife Betty Jean put together a tour of Europe where the choir would sing in some of the greatest venues including Westminster Abbey, the Madeleine in Paris, and Chartres Cathedral to name a few.  It so happened that the year of the European Tour when I was a student was my senior year.

St. Martin-in-the-Fields Church
The day after graduation, we left for a six week tour visiting France, Germany, Switzerland, the Netherlands, and England.  While in London, we performed at Westminster Abbey, St. Martin-in-the Fields Church in Trafalgar Square, and the Chapel of the Old Royal Naval College in Greenwich.  That was 21 years ago.  During our time here this week, we have attended an organ recital at Westminster Abbey and listened to a noontime concert at St. Martin-in-the Fields by a boys choir from Bromley.  We also had lunch in the cafe of the church -- another memory from choir tour.   Mona and I visited the Chapel at the Old Royal Naval College on Tuesday.

Chapel at the Old Royal Naval College in Greenwich
Some of my best and closest friends to this day are those fellow singers from the William and Mary Choir.  Returning to these places brought back a flood of memories of our time together on tour and how much fun we had performing and seeing so many different places.  That trip also had one other profound effect on me -- my love of travel.  I don't think I would have had nearly the level of interest to travel like I've had since then if it weren't for that European Choir Tour.  Thanks Doc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment